It is little known that the majority of the world's poor must walk where they go, many barefoot. An estimated 2 billion people are currently afflicted with parasitic diseases, which is most preventable with proper footwear.
Parasites enter the body through ingestion of things such as dirty water or through bare feet. Impoverished people have so few resources, they generally live in areas where trash and human waste have made the soil a breeding ground for a variety of lethal organisms. Due to these circumstances, unfortunate children spend their entire day walking barefoot in garbage dumps. The leading causes of disease in these countries are parasites found in soil-transmitted helminthes (a type of parasitic worm), which can penetrate the skin through bare feet.
If left untreated, these parasites can result in internal poisons, the loss of limbs, chronic illness and even death. Millions of children are not allowed to attend school without proper footwear, resulting in the continued cycle of abject poverty generation after generation in developing countries.
Sadly every year over one million children die from preventable diseases caused by a lack of proper shoes. The right shoes protect these children against soil parasites, cuts, abrasions, infections and disease.
"If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
~ John 13:14 – 15
ANGELIC ANTIMICROBIAL SHOES
Millions from One provides specially designed antimicrobial shoes that actually do more than just cover the foot for protection. Prior to pouring the material into the shoe mold, an antimicrobial agent is added, providing extra protection against disease and bacteria. The shoes repel rather than absorb germs.
We also asked our shoe manufacturers to put a simple pattern on the inside of the shoe so that no one’s feet would slip out. It wasn’t until a few years after starting Millions from One that we realized this pattern was in the shape of an angel. These angels have provided many with a symbol of hope where hopelessness has dominated.
- The fact that over 3,000,000,000 people live on the equivalent of $2.50 per day or less, means that many of the basic needs of life go unmet including proper footwear.
- According to statistics from the World Bank Group, every year Americans spend $256.0 billion on clothing and $50.7 billion on shoes.
- The majority of the world's poor must walk where they go.
- An estimated 2 billion people are currently afflicted with parasitic diseases, most preventable with the right shoes.
- Every year over one million children die from preventable diseases caused by the lack of proper shoes.
- According to the World Health Organization, approximately one in five people in the world have hookworms, sharp-toothed parasites that attach themselves to intestinal walls and suck blood. Hookworms crawl up from the ground, penetrate the skin of their hosts and settle in the intestines. Hookworm disease can lead to parasitic infections in barefoot individuals. Parasites also breed in stagnant water in which many children swim and even drink from when necessary. If left untreated, these parasites can result in internal poisons, the loss of limbs, chronic illness and even death.
- There are treatments that can kill the worms. Hookworm is treatable with one or two pills that cost about $1 but people who live in areas where it is found tend to get it repeatedly. The parasites favor damp, cool environments and are particularly common in cotton, rapeseed and tobacco fields. Hookworm can be avoided by the sanitary disposal of human wastes and by wearing shoes.